Wednesday, November 7, 2012

An Organized Life

For as long as I can remember my New Years Resolution has always been: be more organized! I'm a Virgo so it's in my blood. I've got the label maker, the pretty baskets, the contact paper, the creativity... What I've been lacking is the time and the motivation to begin.

I've got two kids who are 2 and 3 years old

 Two Dogs who are old!


A husband, house to clean and busy life to maintain.  I know you all can relate!

Lately my desire to purge and re-organize has out done any excuse I can invent. I've thrown in the towel and begun my arduous journey toward utter and complete organization. My goal - and it's a big one - is to do it by Dec 31!

Why now? Well, the best way to start a weight loss plan is to be organized, be prepared, have all of your ducks in a row.  What better way to start the new year than with a new you.  If your house is in order, your life will feel more in order, more in control! How much easier will it be for you to plan out your meals if your kitchen is in perfect working order, if you have a running inventory of everything inside your pantry, cabinets, refrigerator and freezer? Well, that is what I did. 

I started out with my:


Pantry/mud room/laundry room (it's one big room)

BEFORE:




So far, I have completed my laundry room/pantry/mudroom! This room took me an ENTIRE week to do! But as you will see, the after pictures are well worth the time invested. You may wonder how on earth I had the time to do it? I woke up at 4:30 every morning and got started.  I had my plan of action laid out and I just purged, boxed, packed, donated and tried to make a sensible plan of how I wanted my space to look. Every spare minute I could find, I used to work and improve my space.  

Here is how my laundry room looks now: AFTER


The most important thing here was to clear the clutter. I got this GREAT roller caddy for the kids crafts at Michaels. Labeled each drawer for their specific task, i.e., coloring books, stickers, paints, paper, crayons... and wa-la it's perfect! 

 Next I labeled and assigned a bin for each family member.
 
Clean slate - I just got rid of the clutter! So much prettier, I actually WANT to do laundry now!

I found this beautiful contact paper at Marshall's and went to town. Love the finished look. It's actually pretty now! Then I decided since it was so visible it had to be pretty to the eye. So I reorganized each shelf.  Don't know if you can see it but the bottom right is where we store the dog food and the pull for the lid is a dog head - love that!


Laundry Cabinets Before:


Bottom Shelf Before:

AFTER:


Everything is containerized - now I just have to label each one. I don't really need to because they are in clear plastic and I can see what's in each one, but I think it looks prettier with nice labels and I love to make pretty things! Notice the piggy bank here.  I got this idea from Pinterest - BRILLIANT! I will use the extra money for something for the kiddos. In case you are wondering, I got all of these containers (clear and white) at Walmart $1.99 & $3.50. The white ones with the handles are excellent for grabbing what I need and then sliding them right back into place! That is the key - putting it all back into it's proper place! Everything should have a "home" that is why using these containers is so vital to successful organizing!

  
Bottom shelf of my laundry cabinet.  Again I got two empty laundry baskets - these will be used for mine & my husbands clothes in one and the kids clothes in the other. I still need to label them.  The bottom shelf is all of the dog towels and dog blankets and extra table clothes - will label those as well ;-)


KITCHEN PANTRY BEFORE:



DURING: The key here is to get it all out and start with a clean slate. Go through everything and don't be afraid to TOSS or DONATE what you don't want/eat! Make room for what you do eat.


KITCHEN PANTRY AFTER:










KITCHEN CABINETS BEFORE:



Don't be afraid to move things around - make it work for you. I had to re-work this cabinet a few times before it felt right.  I wanted the kids foods/snacks all in one place.

AFTER:


COOKING CABINET BEFORE



AFTER:


CORNER CABINET BEFORE:

AFTER:


REFRIGERATOR AFTER:


I still have to line the pull out drawers! I ran out of refrigerator liner paper.  I bought all that Marshall's had so I have to wait a few days for them to restock ;-) And I just may make some pretty labels for the condiments in the door - why not?!

FREEZER AFTER:

Everything here is labeled! I can't tell you how much easier it is to have a dedicated shelf for each thing.  Bread, Leftovers, Fruit, Veggies, Kids Food, Meats/Fish, Grains. I used file folders to separate each food, so there is a folder between the salmon and the sole and so on...


SPICE CABINET BEFORE:


SPICE CABINET AFTER:


 
And that is the laundry room and kitchen! Now I'm off to feed the kids and get ready for my workout! Today is Trap-Bar Dead Lift day - ouch! After my workout I will walk for an hour to get rid of the built up lactic acid in my muscles - it's fantastic.  Then back home to organize the 1st floor hall closet!

Please feel free to share your ideas here and to post any questions or comments!

xoxoxxo,

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment